2017 was a great reading year for me. I managed to read 85 books. My goal was to reach 70.
To give you an example of what kinds of books I read, here’s 10 of them:
- The Uncommon Reader – Alan Bennett
- East, West – Salman Rushdie
- The Colour of Magic – Terry Pratchett
- Sophie’s World – Jostein Gaarder
- The Narnia series
- What Really Matters – Arthur Kleinman
- Life Lessons from Bergson – Michael Foley
- The Great Gatsby – F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Staring at the Sun – Irvin Yalom
- The Road – Cormac McCarthy
My reading goal for 2018 is to first of all get through all the paperbacks I haven’t read. I have a tendency (it’s actually like a disease) to visit second-hand bookshops and walk out with a bag of books and a smile on my face. Fortunately my wife is rather forgiving.
I have specific writing goals this year (which includes writing a novel for a Taiwanese movie director – no small task!) that I didn’t have last year, and so already I know I won’t have as much time to read.
Being the reading geek that I am, I’ve just pulled out all the books I’m to read this year and piled them up next to me, so I can list a few for you here.
Wife: Why can’t you just post a picture of them?
Me: Because I want to list them.
Wife: You’re very strange.
So, ignoring my wife, here goes:
- Slaughterhouse-Five – Kurt Vonnegut
- A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man – James Joyce
- One Hundred Years of Solitude – Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- Season of Secrets – Sally Nicholls
- Kafka on the Shore – Haruki Murakami
- Oryx and Crake – Margaret Atwood
- Formosa Under the Dutch – D.W Campbell
- A Tale of Two Cities – Charles Dickens
- Oliver Twist – Charles Dickens
- Junk – Melvin Burgess
If I can reach 50 books this year, I’ll be a happy camper.
What about you?
What were your reading goals last year? Did you reach them?
What about this year? What do you plan on reading?
May 2018 be a super reading year for you.
“Good readers make good leaders” – Jim Rohn
Thanks for reading.
Please be a Superstar by Liking and Following. I aim to update my blog on a daily basis.